This bust in Ashbourne Park is to one of the towns most famous daughters, Catherine Mumford, otherwise Catherine Booth.
She was born in Ashbourne in 1829 on the Sturston Rd where a plaque on the house marks the event. Her father, John Mumford, was a carriage maker and an occasional lay preacher. Later the family moved to Lincoln.
In 1851, she met William Booth. They were married on 16 July 1855 at Stockwell Green Congregational Church in London. In 1865 they began the East London Christian Mission which in 1878 was re-named The Salvation Army. She became known as the ‘Mother of The Salvation Army’.